Evangeline A.Z. Burbidge
- Yale University, BA (cum laude, phi beta kappa)
- University of Michigan Law School, JD (cum laude)
Evan is a leader in the legal community, a trusted counselor, and a skilled advocate. Whether litigating a case or advising a client, Evan understands the importance of the big picture. She also knows that being an effective litigator means not only fighting hard, but also being a proactive problem solver. She is a straight-shooter respected by both colleagues and opposing counsel.
Evan litigates and advises on a broad array of matters, including trade secret theft, founder disputes, complex commercial cases, fraud, breach of contract, and other business conflicts. Since joining Lewis & Llewellyn, she has worked for Fortune 100 companies, individuals, and Silicon Valley start-ups, both litigating and conducting internal investigations. Evan has worked on both the defense and plaintiff’s side, successfully representing a billion-dollar company against allegations of wrongdoing and, more recently, securing her client a victory in connection with allegations of trade secret theft. Outside of the business context, Evan has represented survivors of childhood sexual abuse, helping them achieve justice through the legal system.
Evan is also active in the legal community. Barred in both California and Utah, she was elected chair of the Executive Committee of the Bar Association of San Francisco Barristers’ Litigation Section and is currently on the Career Advancement Committee for the Women Lawyers of Utah. Evan was also selected to be a member of the Edward J. McFetridge Inn of Court. Additionally, Evan has served on the board of several environmental non-profits and is an active mentor, working to increase the profile of women in the field.
Evan has been selected as a Northern California Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine for the past five years, an honor reserved for 2.5% of U.S. lawyers, and has been profiled by the Bar Association of San Francisco and the Justice & Diversity Center. Most recently, she was named to Benchmark Litigation’s 40 & Under Hot List in 2018 and 2019, which honors partners 40 or younger who have been deemed the most promising emerging talent in their litigation communities by peers and clients.
A Utah native, Evan loves skiing and trying to teach her children to do the same. She also enjoys learning about clean tech, supporting local theater, and demonstrating her uncanny ability to recognize obscure celebrities.
PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, AND AFFILIATIONS
- Co-Chair, Litigation Section, Barristers’ Division of Bar Association of San Francisco (2016-2019).
- Career Advancement Committee Member, Women Lawyers of Utah (2019-present).
- Board Member, HEAL Utah (2019-present).
- Barrister, Edward J. McFetridge Inn of Court (2018-2019).
- Board of Directors, Community Energy Services Corporation (2017-2019).
- Co-Chair, Class Fundraising for Yale University.
- Panelist/Faculty, Mastering Oral Argument, Pincus Professional Education (November 2018 and November 2019).
- Panelist/Faculty, How to Prepare for Trial, Pincus Professional Education (November 2018 and November 2019).
- Panelist/Faculty, Mastering the Deposition, Pincus Professional Education (March 2018).
- Panelist, Things Start-Ups Should Know, Bar Association of San Francisco (February 2018).
- Contributor, Meet the (Barristers) Parents, San Francisco Attorney Magazine (Summer 2017).
- Moderator, Advanced Deposition Tips and Tricks, Bar Association of San Francisco (December 12, 2016).
- Moderator, An Inside View with In-House Counsel, Bar Association of San Francisco (October 22, 2015).
- Author, The Federal Sentencing Guidelines: A Misplaced Trust in Mechanical Justice, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform (Spring 2010); analyzing the role of the legislature in criminal sentencing and evaluating the flaws in the sentencing guidelines; cited by American Law Reports (58 A.L.R. Fed. 2d 1).