Ryan B. Erickson
- Princeton University (magna cum laude)
- UCLA School of Law, JD (Order of the Coif)
Ryan Erickson is an experienced litigator who thrives in the high-pressure environment of civil litigation. As a partner at Lewis & Llewellyn, Ryan brings years of experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in a diverse array of complex disputes. He enjoys combining strategy, grit, and efficiency to best meet his clients’ litigation objectives.
After graduating with High Honors from Princeton University, Ryan received his law degree from UCLA, where he was an Editor of the Law Review and selected as a member of the Order of the Coif (top 10% of his class). Ryan began his career in the San Francisco office of Latham & Watkins LLP, one of the world’s premier law firms, where he represented several Fortune 500 companies in high-profile commercial disputes.
Since joining Lewis & Llewellyn in 2013, Ryan has secured complete defense victories for clients in multiple bet-the-company cases. As just one example, Ryan successfully co-chaired a five-week federal trial to verdict in a complex ERP software dispute with more than $100 million at issue.
Crossing the aisle to the plaintiff’s side of the courtroom, Ryan has secured numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements through the successful prosecution of his clients’ claims. By litigating on both sides of the bar, Ryan brings a broad perspective to his practice that enables him to efficiently and effectively address the legal needs of his clients.
Ryan has been named to Benchmark Litigation’s “Under 40 Hot List” three years in a row, which honors partners 40 or younger who have been deemed the most promising emerging talent in their litigation communities by peers and clients. He has also been profiled by Law360 and selected as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine. In 2019, the The National Law Journal, one of the country’s leading legal publications, named Ryan a “California Trailblazer.”
In addition to his business litigation practice, Ryan has also earned a reputation as a premier advocate for survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Applying the aggressive and exhaustive approach taken in high-stakes commercial litigation to his nationwide sexual abuse practice, Ryan has obtained numerous multi-million dollar recoveries on behalf of his clients. Along the way, he has become a tireless advocate for the prevention of sexual abuse. Ryan proudly serves on the Board of Directors of CALICO, a non-profit that operates one of the largest child advocacy center in California, which serves approximately 800 abused children every year.
During his free time, Ryan enjoys open water swimming and spending time with his family, usually outdoors in their 1991 Volkswagen Westfalia Vanagon.
PRESENTATIONS, AFFILIATIONS, AND AWARDS
- Board Member, CALICO Center (2017 – Present)
- Barrister, Edward J. McFetridge Inn of Court
- Panelist, Civil Litigation of Sexual Assault Cases in the #MeToo Era, Bar Association of San Francisco (May 2019)
- Panelist/Faculty, Mastering Oral Argument, Pincus Professional Education (November 2018)
- Panelist/Faculty, How to Prepare for Trial, Pincus Professional Education (November 2018)
- Featured, From Billable Hours to Bedtime Stories: Lawyering with Children, Law360 (July 2018)
- Panelist, How to Level Up Your Law Practice, Bar Association of San Francisco (February 2018)
- Recipient, California Trailblazer, The National Law Journal (2019)
- Recipient, Future Star Litigator, Benchmark Litigation (2017 – 2019)
- Recipient, Under 40 Hot List, Benchmark Litigation (2017 – 2019)
- Recipient, Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine (2014 – 2019)
- Recipient, Justice H. Wes Walker Pro Bono Award, Legal Aid of Napa Valley
- Extern, Hon. Carlos T. Bea, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Extern, Durham County District Attorney’s Office
- Recipient, Order of the Coif, UCLA Law School (top 10%)
- Editor, UCLA Law Review