Paul T. Llewellyn
- Oxford University, BA (Hons)
- Oxford University, MA
- Inns of Court School of Law, London
Paul Llewellyn is an experienced civil litigator and trial lawyer. He was recently named by the Daily Journal as one of the top 40 lawyers in California under the age of 40, a group which, according to the selection panel, represents some of the best legal talent in the world. Benchmark Litigation, the definitive guide to America’s leading litigation firms and attorneys, recently selected Paul to be part of its Under 40 Hotlist, one of just 12 attorneys selected throughout California. And The National Law Journal, one of the country’s leading legal publications, named Paul as an Elite Boutique Trailblazer, one of just 23 attorneys selected throughout the United States.
After earning his law degree from Oxford University, England, and after leaning the art of advocacy at the Inns of Court School of Law in Temple, London, Paul honed his trial skills as a barrister, trying approximately one hundred cases to verdict as prosecuting counsel for the Crown. After moving to California in 2001, Paul practiced at an elite Los Angeles litigation boutique—which twice won the highest verdict in California—and Latham & Watkins LLP, one of the world’s premier international law firms.
This unique background and experience makes Paul a highly-sought after litigator. Clients in search of aggressive and effective representation turn to Paul again and again to resolve their most complex and sensitive legal issues, ranging from discrete issues and disputes to bet the company litigation. He has secured recoveries of millions of dollars on behalf of plaintiffs, as well as significant defense victories. And virtually unique among litigators and trial lawyers, Paul splits his practice approximately 50-50 on the plaintiff and defense side.
In addition to his business litigation practice, Paul has also earned a reputation as one of the country’s leading practitioners pursuing civil lawsuits on behalf of survivors of sexual abuse, including childhood sexual abuse. In this field, he has obtained numerous multi-million dollar recoveries on behalf of his clients, often overcoming significant statute of limitations hurdles. These lawsuits have garnered both national and worldwide media attention, helping to bring about institutional change and raise community awareness, ultimately reducing the opportunity for future instances of sexual abuse.
Paul is a frequent speaker, lecturing regularly on all aspects of litigation practice and procedure. He has served as an Adjunct Professor at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, where he taught legal research and writing, and currently serves on the Board of Directors of the British American Business Council and British Benevolent Society. Paul remains a “door tenant” at his former barristers’ chambers in London, the equivalent to “of counsel” in the U.S., and remains qualified to practice law in England and Wales, as well as in California.
Away from the office, Paul can be found spending time with his wife and two young children. He is also an avid runner and has completed over a dozen marathons.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Speaker, “Fighting Back: Seeking Justice in the U.S. Courtroom,” Oxford University, England (October 2017).
- Panelist, “What Makes Jurors Tick?,” Bridgeport CLE (April 2017).
- Moderator, “Storytelling in IP Litigation – How to talk to Judges and Jurors in Technology Trials,” Federal Bar Association (February 2017).
- Panelist, “Mastering the Deposition,” Bridgeport CLE (January 2017).
- Panelist, “How to Take Your Deposition to the Next Level,” Bar Association of San Francisco (December 2016).
- Panelist, “Mastering the Deposition,” Bridgeport CLE (February 2016).
- Panelist, “Superior Court Boot Camp Conference,” Pincus Professional Education (October 2014).
- Panelist, “Mastering the Deposition: A Critical Skills Workshop,” Pincus Professional Education (July 2013).
- Panelist, “Business Damages Analysis and Modeling: Litigating & Proving Damages,” Bridgeport CLE (May 2013).
- Panelist, “Superior Court Boot Camp Conference,” Pincus Professional Education (October 2012).
- Panelist, “Mastering the Deposition: A Critical Skills Workshop,” Pincus Professional Education (April 2012).
- “How to Enforce Forum Selection Clauses in California.” San Francisco Daily Journal, March 30, 2012.